It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.

--Ernest Hemingway

The Plan

I am not a 'touring cyclist' - not that there's anything wrong with touring cyclists. I consider myself to be a 'roadie'--if it can't fit into a jersey pocket, then it doesn't come along for the ride. So when you picture me biking in Ireland don't think about panniers and saddle bags and back packs. There will be no tents, sleeping bags nor camp stoves anywhere near my bike.

The plan is to rent a car so that I can drive about the island and ride in much the same way that I would at home. If all goes according to the vision, my life over the next 14 days will fall into the following routine: drive to an area, ride, hike, eat massive amounts of food, drink Guinness (amounts may vary), sleep, repeat.

The idea for this trip is to be fairly flexible; it'll be a bit by the seat of my bib shorts. Here's the best I can do for an itinerary:

> Fly into Dublin on Aug 13
> Connemara (northwest of Galway)
>Inishmore (the largest of the Aran Islands)
>The Burren and the fabled Cliffs of Moher
>The Dingle Peninsula
>The Iveragh Peninsula (Ring of Kerry)
>The Beara Peninsula
>Fly out of Dublin on Aug 28

I've perhaps saved the BEST FOR LAST! From Aug 21-23, I'll be following the three-day Tour of Ireland. I'll watch Stage 1 on the Category One Mount Leinster climb, take in Stage 2 on The Vee, a Cat. 2 climb and watch the last stage in Cork which finishes with a with three-loop city street circuit including the 23% gradient climb of St. Patrick's Hill.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that seven-time Tour de France Champ LANCE ARMSTRONG and 10-time TdeF stage winner MARK CAVENDISH will be riding the Tour of Ireland. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

So come back to this little blog often to read about my adventures with my bike on the Emerald Isle. And please, if you're reading this stuff, leave me a comment; it's nice to know that people are out there checking this stuff out.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Final Preparations

Hi, and welcome to my second attempt at blogging.

The final 48 hours before leaving has commenced, and I'm in the throes of making final preparations. My bike case is ready to go, and Al and the crew at the Bike Barn have hooked me up with both a 39 tooth chain ring and a new 12-27 cassette (for those who don't know, this means I've arranged the drive train on my bike for the serious mountain climbing that's to come).

Insurance has been the word for the last little while - specifically insurance on my bike which for the first time will become 'a piece of airline baggage'. This makes me very nervous, so I've been on the phone learning what my insurance options are, and it looks like I'll be able to get the piece of mind that I need without blowing the budget.

That's all for now. I must get more things crossed off my list. I just wanted to get a post up so that I can get this thing up and running.

Hoping to hear tons of comments from ya'll as this thing unfolds. It should be interesting to say the least.

Eno

PS For those of you who are 'commenting-challenged' (and you know who you are) here's a little help. To comment, simply click on the word 'comment' at the bottom of each post, type your comment, and for simplicity under "select a profile" select "Name/URL", then type your name (you can leave URL blank), then click "post comment", you'll be taken to a screen and asked to type a "word verification" (a squiggly word or series of characters that's presented to you), so type that word in the box, then click "post comment" and you're done. Trust me.

17 comments:

  1. All the best Shane .Raise a glass of Guiness for us Lorraine & the Wiz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you have a fantastic time! I think winning the lottery is out. Rod will have to live vicariously through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it is going to be a blast. Have a great time and take care. Be sure to update your BLOG as I will be checking in from time to time....Rene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ride on! I'll be checking in. Sounds fun. Joff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great flight,I'll be watching and reading everyday, like Deanna said we didn't win the lottery so I'm spending the rest of my summer vacation in NS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shane, Enjoy your trip! Thank you, Juanita, from us for driving Shane to the airport. We'll be anxiously awaiting your blogs. Hi Selena in PEI. Enjoy the Games. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shane. I hope you had a great flight. We go the lay of the land in PEI yesterday and headed to Charlottetown today to see all the venues. Love Selena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are safe and sound! You are a great story teller! Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you made it, and the bike. I loved your first post, across the pond, keep it coming. Tomorrow looks like a good day for a run, a better day for a sail but I'm riding...so are you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Shane Glad you arrived safely and hope you stay that way throughout the trip. "Ride safe". as we say in motorcycling. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job Herman, I thought I would have to code everything I wrote until someone figured it out.
    Can't wait to hear about the bike store experience.
    Selena, its good on you too, but I knew my lunch swinger would know about her partner. Hope you are having a good time too, will look for you on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like things are going well. I'm sensing a bit of blarney as you spin your tale. Enjoy and play safe. See you in September.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm guessing that Maglia Rosa is your buddy Rodding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!!!!!
    I love your posts and pics, although I am jealous as hell. It's been stinking hot here, early morning rides, today I started at 6am,and 6:37:32 later, with 166km behind me I ended up in Truro. Saw the sun come up in Blandford and still wished I was riding with you in Ireland. Keep the rubber side down and post, post, post, when you can.
    The bike shop(mall) is incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!